Full Disclosure?

5 Replies

St. Louis woman learns about home's dark secret while watching television

ST. LOUIS, Mo. -

A St. Louis woman received quite the shock after she learned about her home's dark past. The real kicker? She learned about it while watching television.

Catrina McGhaw signed a lease to the home without worry until a family member told her to check out a cold case documentary about serial killers on the A&E Network.

The documentary featured her house, the same house serial killer Maury Travis used as a torture chamber.

McGhaw couldn't handle what she saw, so she called her landlord begging to get out of the lease. The landlord, though, was not sympathetic and turned out to be the killer's mother.

So, you may be asking if it's legal to withhold such information? A real estate expert says murders, suicides and violent crimes don't require disclosure and that only material defects need to be noted.

Luckily for McGhaw, after appealing to St. Louis public housing officials, she can break the lease and move out by the end of July.

• Copyright Schurz Communications 2014

Poor landlord is going to have a rough time renting that one.

If you'll review this on CNN you'll see this tenant has a Section 8 voucher and her share of the $850 rent was...zero.

Hoo boo on her.

Gail

Interesting post.  The entire time the Ariel Castro kidnapping story was unfolding, I was wondering if something like that could happen in one of my rentals.  It reinforced the need to do full inspections at least annually, even though even discovering it could be too late.  

We found out after the fact that one of our properties used to be a horrid drug house.  I don't feel compelled to share this with new tenants, but would answer truthfully if asked.

Originally posted by @Ryan F. :

Poor landlord is going to have a rough time renting that one.

Well she shouldn't have given birth to a monster :p

I'm sure if you dig deep enough you'll find skeletons in every home's closets

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.