What's a good site to find rent rates of an area or a specific unit?

8 Replies

Hey BP,

Just wanted to estimate my revenue for a property I'm looking at, and wanted to know where is a good place to find/estimate the rent.

Thanks

Originally posted by @Jordan Redar:

Hey BP,

Just wanted to estimate my revenue for a property I'm looking at, and wanted to know where is a good place to find/estimate the rent.

Thanks

Rentometer.com is good for a quick glance, but don't take it as gospel by any means (it's just other landlord estimates and you can't compare units). I would look at Craigslist, the map feature will allow you to find nearby rental comps. You can also use Padmapper and Hotpads for that. 

If you want a more detailed analysis, you can go to RentRange.com, but I should note that after a few free one's, it costs money.

Medium apartment logoAndrew Syrios, Stewardship Investments | http://www.StewardshipProperties.com | Podcast Guest on Show #121

Ride the area of your rental and try to find and active house for rent.

Call and see if you can get some current info for things that are renting now.

I agree with Andrew. 

Rentbits.com is a good secondary source. Personally I look at Zillow's "zestimate." Keep in mind their numbers are a bit skewed since they rely heavily on historical data. Depending on your market, I would use their numbers as a rock bottom price. Since the rental market (at least in La Jolla) is extremely good, I have been successful at setting rent prices 20-25% higher then their suggestions. 

I use padmapper.com.

I also like padmapper.com

Rentometer.com is a good start 

I'd like to second the Craigslist idea.  I check monthly to make sure my rents aren't too out of line.  

Also, I drive to a couple of local property management offices and pick up their fliers of available rental units.  I do this on a roughly quarterly basis.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you