If home is damaged, do you have to pay for your tenants hotel stay?

1 Reply

The unthinkable has happened, a drunk driver ran into my mobile home! He pushed it a good foot so that the water lines underneath the home have busted and a couple of the cinder blocks it stands on are askew making it unsafe for them to stay there.

They have paid their rent for this month but do not have extra money for a hotel. Do I as the owner/landlord have to put them up in a hotel while this is being fixed?

There is no insurance. In Florida, if a mobile is worth under $6,000 you cannot get insurance, the drunk driver was a hit and run so no insurance option there. The handyman is saying 2 days to fix the water lines and jack it up so he can replace the cement blocks and make it safe to live in. The roof is tarped.

It should be in your lease that they have to pay for any short term unexpected issues.   If it were me though i'd look at how much i liked, or disliked the tenant and if i wanted to add good will or push them further away from me.     The cost of the hotel room is minimal compared to the cost of finding another tenant.

Odds are the person who hit the place is related to the tenants by the way.  Less this one is really close to the road or something like that.       If it were me and I'd want the tenant to stay I'd put them up in some 35-40 a night place for the 2-3 days and move on.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you