• Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
How to handle this situation: City Fines and responsibility

Jake Thomas
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Posted Sep 23 2014, 08:56

Here is the situation.

My tenants are normally trouble free except they continually park on the grass to the one side of my driveway. This is a city infraction which the city mails me a letter to let me know of the infraction then gives me two weeks to fix the problem before a follow up inspection. After getting the letter I inform the tenants so they can resolve the issue.Their lease specifies all city fines will be passed on to them for this particular issue.

About 12 months ago I received the first warning letter from the city for the same tenants parking on the grass. This was fixed and no issues till last month when the same letter was sent. This time they did not fix the issue and a fine was mailed to me (homeowner) for $215. I was able to get the fine reversed after discussing the issue with the city inspector and getting him to remove the fine since it was my first violation.

My question is the tenants think they are still responsible for this fine and is it ethical to charge them for it even though I was able to get it removed? I am not treating this as a money grab to make an extra $215, more so to teach a lesson so I can avoid this in the future.

How does everyone else feel?

Loading replies...