Securing a renter - pinging for ideas

32 Replies

For the first time in 8 years, I just listed a rental property with a realtor. It's still on craigslist, Zillow, Trulia, Postlets, etc. The tire kickers and time wasters, even after phone screenings, just aren't effective uses of my or my contractor's time after a month of advertising. The rent is competitive, the unit is beautiful and rarely available in this complex. It's our highest priced property near downtown Ft. Lauderdale and I feel at this point that a qualified renter at that level will use a realtor, especially if it's a relocation.

We're sincerely hoping to get it rented by November 1st, so we'll see. This is a great thread, very helpful!

@Jim Piper  

My experience is 1/3 of cl responders do what they say after i talk to them on the phone.  I just plan on it.

oh and until i have $$s in hand don't do anything if i can help it

@Kirk R.  

The best responses I get in terms of following thru are from the people who text.  Very high show up rate for appointments.  Phone is quite a bit lower, and like I said before, I don't typically hear again from the people who email.

@Jim Piper  undefined

Actually I have seen the texts do have better follow through.  People call at 1PM and say hey can I take a look at your place at 2 PM.  I'm like sure.  They don't show up.  I'm like what the what - & I tell them just let me know if they can't make it - always tempted to call them back since their number is on my phone and ask where the heck they are.  But figure my time is better spent on BP.  

@Kirk R.  

I always tell them they must text me prior to the confirmed meeting time or I won't be there.  If they don't text... I don't go to the property.  Saves me time on no shows.  

@Bryan N.  Sounds good - I normally text them and say something like can we move our meeting from 2 to 2:15?

I think I like your idea better.

@Adam Stanton   Congratulations on your first rental. 

You will definitely want to get your pictures up so prospective tenants can see the quality of your property.  If it stands out in that market it will be helpful.  I also price a little under market so I have a larger pool of prospective tenants and have better choices.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here