Abusive Co Signers Rights To Stay ? (If Any?)

3 Replies

I am considering adding "no boyfriend/Girlfriend" unless bound by strong bond circumstances such as "baby on the way and planning for an upcoming wedding" etc to my list of do not rent factors. In my first 2 years of renting I have had 3 move outs. 2 were bf/gf breakups that ended end death threats ; abuse ; etc and these are on high end rentals. I got notified of one of these today. The bf (co-signer) is sending death threats to the gf ; she moved out scared for her life and filed a restraining order.

I have no clue how to proceed from a legality standpoint in terms of moving on and what protected rights (if any) the bf has to stay if he wants and whether or not I am simply allowed to charge her our agreed upon early term fee from our lease and move on.

Can't really, discrimination based on family status, you can't define what a family is.

You can have reasonable limitations to guests, go with approval being required after x days, you could then go to additional rents for more tenants. They don't pay, evict.

Your title says co-signer; a co-signor or endorser is not a co-tenant, they have no rights to possession but only guarantee the financial obligation created. Be careful what you call folks on your lease. :) 

@Bill Gulley  

Good point ! Looking at my lease I see that he is a "co-tenant" not a "co-signer" . Since he is abusive to the other "co-tenant" that wants to end the lease ; can I terminate the lease legally ? He has been threatening to kill her in her words daily (among other things)

Not really, best to see what the cops will do under domestic violence matters and sounds like she might go there, if she got a restraining order, she already has and most likely has an attorney or legal assistance.

About the only thing under the law that justifies immediate evictions would be with drug violations, otherwise folks are entitled to due process. If you lease has terms concerning such matters and you actually have proof or believable testimony from creditable sources you may have a justification to terminate. I'd also think the chance of him leaving quietly in the night might be low, sounds like the eviction type with cops there.

A judge told me a long time ago, "sometimes you need to get things done on your own toughness". He didn't mean using a ball bat, he meant confronting the problem head on, not backing down, being more forceful than the opponent.......cash for keys? :) 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.