Any Atlanta area experts?

7 Replies

Hello. I am a Chicago native. Lived there all my life. Now my career is taking me to Atlanta. My fiance and I are both excited and worried. While Chicago has it's bad areas, I have lived there my entire life and know where to avoid. Atlanta is another story. I've heard both good and bad and would like to find a realtor who can help us find a place. Any info on any we'll known trusted relators would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am listening to anyone who has opinions about any/all of the surrounding towns. My work will be basically at the airport, so I can't stray too far from there.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

This post has been removed.

price range is 6-800 for now until we get settled. It's just me and my fiance, so schools aren't important to us. She will be doing some college work, but she doesn't mind driving a little if need be. A good area and a non bug infested home are top priorities. I will check that website out. Thanks for the fast reply!!

Where do you live in Chicago?  Where do you want to live in Chicago?  That will help a lot.  

I live in the suburbs of Chicago. I am actually moving to Atlanta though.

doing some research, I'm seeing that cities like Union City, Peachtree City, Smyrna, and Vinnings are all good cities.

@robertsigrist I lived in Atlanta for about 10 years and have been in Chicago for 2.  Atlanta is a great city but it but is extremely spread out.  I think you have to decide whether you want to be closer to the city(ITP/In The Perimeter) or the suburbsOTP(Out The Perimeter).  If you want to be ITP and within 25min of the airport Airport I suggest Grant Park, Inman Park, Poncey Highland, Kirkwood, Candler Park.  If you are willing to drive 35minutes then I highly recommend the City of Decatur.  Please note that I said the CITY of Decatur and not just Decatur. 

OTP is going to be tough for me to make suggestions that are within 25 minutes of the airport.  Good luck.  I happy to be in Atlanta now and you are going to love the weather.

The airport is the South end of the City, so it makes the search much easier.  There are fewer good choices for someone wanting to live in the suburbs there.

Peachtree City is probably where you'll want to be.  Maybe Newnan.  Stick fairly close to i-85 as you go south.  Traffic will grow worse by the day.   Riverdale/Clayton County is not a great place, but I understand there are nice neighborhoods and enticing prices.  Don't fall for it.

Best of luck!

Rick

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you