Need advice

4 Replies

Tenant 90+ y/o was hospitalized and was discharged to a nursing home for long term care. She has a 70 + y/o sister left living in the apt but does not have capacity to pay rent. No lease in place. What steps should I take 2 mos rent not paid.

@Mark Preza .  Wondering how a lease is not in place?  Regardless, I'd go and talk to the sister in the property as a first step to see if she will leave voluntarily.  If she won't, I would consider paying her a little move out money to help her out. (I wouldn't pay until I got the keys).  If those fail, if I were you I'd consult my RE attorney about eviction. After all that is done, get a great lease and never operate without one.  Good luck! 

Jonna Weber, Real Estate Agent in ID (#SP41257)
208-608-4884

Jonna, 

Thanks for the advice. They were good tenants unfortunately this happened. We are the 3rd owner of the building and they've been there ever since. 

Originally posted by @Mark Preza :

Jonna, 

Thanks for the advice. They were good tenants unfortunately this happened. We are the 3rd owner of the building and they've been there ever since. 

Good tenants = pay rent on time. Unfortunately just because they are nice people doesn't make them GOOD tenants. I think you go to the sister and tell her " no pay no stay". You can emphasize with the situation but you HAVE to run it like a business. 

Non pay = eviction. Or you could let her stay for free.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.