Tenant question!

2 Replies

I had a new tenant move in on Sunday. She called me yesterday stating that the dish washer was not working properly  (taking to long and not cycling). I got someone out today to fix it. They called and said that it works great and she just didn't know how to work it properly. So can I charge her the $81 service call fee? Or do I have to eat it!

if you did, she could not pay you and be justified. she reported a problem, she believed it to be a problem as well. you made the choice to pay to have someone out, You should've followed up and asked more questions before sending a repair guy out. I would eat the money and call it a lesson learned.

Originally posted by @Elliot Smith:

I had a new tenant move in on Sunday. She called me yesterday stating that the dish washer was not working properly  (taking to long and not cycling). I got someone out today to fix it. They called and said that it works great and she just didn't know how to work it properly. So can I charge her the $81 service call fee? Or do I have to eat it!

In this situation, I believe the right thing is for you to pay for the service call. It is important to demonstrate to tenants how to operate appliances and/or provide them with operation manuals when they move in. Also, it is important to seek more information before calling in professional service personnel. It is good to learn how equipment in your units work, so you can trouble shoot and take care of some minor things on your own. Or have a property manager or handyman that would fulfill that need for you. Next time you initiate a professional service call, you'll be sure you really need it.  I feel for you... we've been there!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here