Inspecting property

5 Replies

After getting a property rented, how often do u inspect it?

You can do it as frequently as you want.  I like to do them quarterly and change the air filters while there.  Water leaks, smoke detectors, and health/safety are the main things that I look for.  I also like to see if they have unauthorized people living in the unit.

Tenants want privacy just like you do.  Start off quarterly.  If the place is clean, filters changed, smoke detector batteries maintained, and leaks or other maintenace reported then go to semi-annual.  

Do you need to give them a notice of inspection. I normally try to do an inspection every six months but some renters seem to never be home and send the money in. I don't like to enter their homes unless its an emergency without someone home.

@Chris Feig  

Give them a notice and let them know you'll be there.  Tell them it's for a smoke detector check and they don't need to be home. 

What do you guys do about lazy renters. I have one that keeps a really messing home and drives up in the yard so she can park next to the door. The home has a garage and she chooses to use it for storage. The only problem with her is that she pays her rent and has been there for a few years so I hate to evict her. I've given her several warnings about driving in the yard and her lease is up and is a month to month renter now. What would you do?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.