Renting to Potential Tenants

6 Replies

Will a landlord rent one of their properties to someone who has prove of good income but doesn't have any credit but the other person moving in has credit with no income?

Every landlord is different but personally I'd be unlikely to do so.

Good credit with no income isn't really all that valuable so then it falls on the one who does have income. If poor credit means they don't pay their landlord or bills on time then I would pass.

The person with the documented income matters the most.  It also matters how bad is the bad credit.  What is the rental history?  Depending on the area of the market, you may have to take tenants with less than perfect credit.  However you still want to make sure they don't have evictions and pay their rent.

@Precious Thompson  The way I look at it is this.  If two people are living together and one of them disappears can the other one pay the rent on their own?  If the answer is no and I even consider taking them on (which i wouldn't do) 2 months security would be a must.

Medium rzt hc 6483Michael Noto, SalCal Real Estate Connections | [email protected] | 860‑384‑7570 | https://www.zillow.com/profile/Mike-Noto/ | CT Agent # RES.0799665

Guys, no one said anything about BAD credit, just NO credit.

Originally posted by @Richard C. :

Guys, no one said anything about BAD credit, just NO credit.

Good point.  Do they have a history of paying rent/utilities?  Does your state allow collecting 2 month security deposit or last month's rent on move-in?  I definitely would want an extra buffer if renting to someone with no credit.

What is the relationship between the 2 tenants?

The person who has the income doesn't have any credit established at all and its thier first time renting from anyone which I guess may not sit well with a landlord

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you