• Homeowner
  • Chester, PA
Votes |
Selling A Rental With Existing Tenants

Lynn B.
  • Homeowner
  • Chester, PA
Posted Jan 5 2015, 11:16

A few weeks ago, I was eager to begin the process of renting to an acquaintance who requested to rent my parent's property as it would have been additional income for my parent as well as cover expenses (no mortgage).  The tenant admitted that his credit wasn't good, but I was going to give him a chance anyway. The house is nice, but in a low value area. I changed my mind about renting after receiving a caveat from a property inspector who inspected previous homes rented by this potential tenant, and described him as being "dirty". My problem is that this acquaintance continues to beg to rent the property even AFTER a recent shooting sent a car into the property damaging a railing and step. I still want to sell as I am fearful of having to constantly visit the area. Also, I'm told that we will have to pay a tax if we rent and then decide to sell without living in the home for two years.  The home may take a while to sell, so renting it would pay taxes and keep the home from looking vacant.  This renter is persistent. He's self employed with a business in the area. He's not afraid to live there, he knows the neighbors.  Can you rent out your home and place it up for sale at the same time? Do investors want houses that are already rented out to tenants? 

Loading replies...