Just served first eviction notice

10 Replies

Wasn't confrontational or anything as he wasn't home but still doesn't make me feel that great, not a fun part of the investment process :(.

@Sol Bergren  

what was the reason for the eviction?What process was involved?just asking for my learning.

Thanks

Second question, @Sol Bergren  .....was this property in US or Canada? I see you are in SK.....

NA Onyido  Non-payment of rent, and basically no communication with me to resolve it.  Yup in Canada.  I contacted him a bunch of times, and no response till I talked to him in person when I knocked on door, he wanted to stay but basically had no plan in place to make payment.

Did you do the right background check on him? Tenant screening is very crucial in land-lording and there are great stuff in the land lording section of this site.

Its all business, if he is not paying, he has to go.....you have mortgage to pay.....

Just follow the due process with all necessary documented notifications.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Sol Bergren :

Wasn't confrontational or anything as he wasn't home but still doesn't make me feel that great, not a fun part of the investment process :(.

How long does it take to evict up there? I've heard that in Toronto at least you can't evict during the winter months.

Ya, I was a little too lenient on the background check, lesson learned.

It takes 15 days after rent overdue to serve eviction, and they need to move out that day.  Unless they take it to the office of the rentalsman, they say it takes around a week for them to process it before it becomes court ordered.  Hopefully I won't have to take those steps. 

Ya, pretty sure there are no restrictions on serving winter evictions, just the downside of it being winter for both parties.

Originally posted by @Scott Pigman :
Originally posted by @Sol Bergren:

How long does it take to evict up there? I've heard that in Toronto at least you can't evict during the winter months.

Scott,

The eviction process varies from province to province, much like it does from state to state in the U.S.A.

You can evict any time of year - the not being able to evict in the winter is an urban myth much like the unfounded belief that the power company cannot disconnect your electricity in the winter.

The big issue with eviction in Toronto (TO) is the backlog in the system ... on top of a system which is tenant friendly.

Down east in NB, we can file a Notice to Vacate the day after rent is due: the tenant has 7-days to cure (pay they outstanding balance) or 15-days to vacate.   If they do not leave willingly by the 15th day we can request an eviction ... which may take another 7 - 14 days.

1(506) 471-4126

I hate to say it I am a sucker for a sad story that why I hire  someone to do it for me.I can do it myself but that one part of this game I do not like and still feel bad about .Now I screen real hard and it's very rare that it takes place. I am in Dc and it is very hard to get someone out and they are passing more laws to make it harder to put someone out.

Sol,

When I had to go through that for the first time I felt horrible! I wanted to be compassionate and liked but I just got walked on and I would let them rack up a huge balance. I changed that pretty quick and started treating it more like a business.  

Originally posted by @Roy N. :
not being able to evict in the winter is an urban myth much like the unfounded belief that the power company cannot disconnect your electricity in the winter.

I stand corrected, thank you. For the record my source was a friend who works in code enforcement for the city of Toronto - but he's not an investor himself.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.