Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Chris Simmons
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Owasso, OK
Votes |
Gut feeling or empathy after reviewing all docs - ID Theft???

Chris Simmons
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Owasso, OK
Posted Jan 14 2015, 11:36

I just back from showing a rental in a nice, older part of Tulsa.  The lady that saw the property is older, does not come off as the brightest individual, mainly because I think her ex husband handled most matters for her.  Anyway, she is divorced and showed me a decree awarding her $20,000+/month for 15 years as alimony.  She took the application to fill out and wants to occupy quickly.  She drove to the house in a nice, loaded, late model Jeep Cherokee with a small trailer on the back and mentioned needing to move her RV that is currently parked at the fairgrounds due to the local Chili Bowl....don't ask!.  

Anyway, she appears to have some material goods and if the divorce decree is being honored, more than capable of affording the $1450/month rent.  Here is the problem.  She sounded crazy.  She has to pay in cash because of cyber stalking, id theft etc.  She said that whenever her alimony gets deposited, it disappears.  ID Theft, IRS levy....who knows yet.  She does not like computers and is worried about what her credit might show, if it will show anything.  She even mentioned that an attorney told her she does not exist.  

I don't have the application back yet so I have not had a chance to do my due diligence.  Has anyone had someone like this before?  Is this a big can of worms that isn't worth opening?  Could this be my first time to actually deal with someone that is truly a victim of ID theft?  Is this just how people that were pampered for years and years before getting kicked out with $250,000/year in alimony act?  

Loading replies...