What do you do to show your tenants that you are a good landlord?

11 Replies

Multi-year tenants who pay the rent on time make your rental business much more profitable than changing tenants frequently. Do your tenants think you are a good landlord? What do you do to show them that you are?

Do what I say I am going to do.

Communicate well.

Respond to issues immediately.

Systematically improve the property.

Originally posted by @Kyle Hipp :

Do what I say I am going to do.

Communicate well.

Respond to issues immediately.

Systematically improve the property.

Ditto to all of these. Plus occasionally provide a gift card or something else.

• Respond ASAP
  • Relay to them that you understand their POV (even if they're wrong)
  • Be honest!
  • Overall make your place easy to leave in (rent system, maintenance request process, etc.)

Good luck!

I offer small improvements on lease renewals for example we offer carpet cleaning, painting touch ups, new plumbing or light fixtures. I have found people are also more receptive to rent increases if we offer these types of improvements.

My first purchase I was praised by the tenants just for taking care of all the deferred maintenance from the previous owner. I guess when the bar is so low anything you upgrade is greatly appreciated!

@Kyle Hipp , how long does it typically take you to respond to an issue? Do you take phone calls directly or use a portal?

@Ben Oki , how do you demonstrate that you understand the tenant's point of view? Do you ever offer compensation for inconveniences? (I recently had the pipes freeze in one of my homes which was repaired promptly--the plumber responded within an hour of the call. 5 days later there was another plumbing issue which required the tenant to shut the water off. I offered to pay for a hotel for the family if this couldn't be repaired promptly. It was repaired the same day. This turned out to be fairly minor and unrelated to the frozen pipes. The tenant appreciated the offer of the hotel even though they didn't use it.)

@Dawn Anastasi , do you offer gift cards on holidays, lease signings or just randomly? If it is on holidays, how do you determine which ones? Do you consider whether it is a holiday the tenant celebrates? For multi-year tenants couldn't that backfire and set up an expectation of a reward on the next holiday or disappointment if the reward is not given?

Originally posted by @Jeff Rabinowitz:

@Dawn Anastasi, do you offer gift cards on holidays, lease signings or just randomly? If it is on holidays, how do you determine which ones? Do you consider whether it is a holiday the tenant celebrates? For multi-year tenants couldn't that backfire and set up an expectation of a reward on the next holiday or disappointment if the reward is not given?

I prefer to do it randomly. People remember unexpected gifts more.

We've handled in-unit updates for good, long standing tenants however that's generally came with a rent increase.  

Recently we've thought of offering move-in baskets at one of our complexes (think tide, dawn, toilet paper, paper towel roll etc).  We are trying to turn around the complex & we think it might improve tenant morale.  However we should probably do something nice for the existing tenants as well.  

@Jeff Rabinowitz  it's definitely a great point.  Turnover is our biggest expense as landlords especially with B & C class properties.  Retaining current tenants is something that should constantly be on our mind.  Unfortunately sometimes we can get caught up with so many other things that we forget to make sure our current tenants are happy.  That's where a good property management group can come into play, especially with mid to large apartment complexes.   @Dawn Anastasi  I like the unexpected, random gifts, great idea.  

One landlord I know has his tenants review him, especially after he has done something really good in response to a tenant (maintenance usually) request; see his rating:

http://www.whoseyourlandlord.com/landlords/63

If you do a landlord search for Phila there, you will see how poorly many landlords are rated. 

I think one of the best gifts you can give your tenants is consistent structure.  A professional relationship of mutual accountability can reduce turn-over and increase quality of life for your residents.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here