Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Stanley Okazaki
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
How to be a better landlord! (Tenant's POV)

Stanley Okazaki
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • The Woodlands, TX
Posted Jan 18 2015, 19:31

Okay, I've got to admit, Bigger Pockets is a bit biased when it comes to tenant discussions. This is a site full of landlords/investors so the bias is understandable but don't you wonder what would be said if there was a Bigger Pockets website for Tenants? 

I'm a licensed Realtor in Houston,TX and have helped a number of people/tenants rent houses/ apartments/ duplexes etc. When I first meet a client the one question I always ask them is why are you moving? The large majority are just looking for more space or to be closer to work but there always people who tell me, " I'm moving because my landlord is f*****g horrible!"

Time to stop pointing the finger!

It seems that every time I hear this, it's coming out of the mouth of someone that has been nothing but the perfect tenant! They're never late on rent, have perfect rental history, great credit, clean, stable employment. It's crazy how some of these landlords treat their tenants, good or bad.

The #1 complaint I hear from these tenants is that their landlord doesn't fix things! The straight up truth is that some landlords are too cheap & stubborn for their own good. If your tenant calls you about a leaky toilet or broken AC there's no reason you or  your handyman shouldn't be out there the following day trying to fix the problem. 

Another big issue I hear from these tenants are with management companies. In my perfect world I would suggest that every landlord manage their own property but unfortunately that will never be the case! However, if you in-trust the responsibility of managing your property with a management company, be sure they're doing their job! 

FOR EXAMPLE: My father had a situation where there was a storm and it blew a tree down onto the roof of one of his properties. Luckily it only left minor damage but because it was raining so hard water had absorbed into the drywall ceiling of the tenants living room. The tenants told us they called the management co. to take care of it but a week later not one person came out to fix the leak. The tenants ended up calling my father directly & and I was actually at the property the very next day to fix the issue. Unfortunately when I got there the whole living room ceiling had collapsed; it's a miracle no one was hurt. Anyways we re-drywall-ed the ceiling the very next day and helped the tenants clean up all the mess. 

In Conclusion

Yes, there will always be bad tenants that you will have problems with regardless of how good of a landlord you are!

By being a landlord, you're making an promise to provide safe & livable conditions for your tenants & in return they pay off your mortgage. Treat land lording just like the business it is!  Stay on top of your management companies. If you are using management companies, tell your tenants how they can reach you directly just in case of an emergency.

If the perfect applicant came along and asked your current tenants,"What kind of landlord are they?", would you be afraid of what your tenants might tell them? Remember, you need tenants just as much as they need you.

Loading replies...