Fishy Tenant Applicant.

21 Replies

Ok, we have this guy who at first seemed like a legit candidate but now is beginning to raise some questions. 

I don't want this to be a long post so I'll just point out the red flags...

.Claims to have been a realtor,marine, gone bankrupt & now says he makes 300K a year with his company that writes software for phone apps. Sure this is all very possible but what are the odds? I mean he did send me a bank statement that has his name on it with 300K in the bank? You would expect to be able to find some more info on this guy via google but I can't find anything!

.At first he said his credit was bad because he had his identity stolen then when I later asked him about his credit he said it was bad because he owned 285 pieces of real estate before the recession hit. I call BS.

. Will not give me his credit scores...Sure we could have ran his credit but we weren't paying for the reports ourselves. (He never gave us an app fee)

.After reviewing his application & and googling his company's name we found nothing so we asked him to tell us why we couldn't find anything. He then proceeded to give me a call expressing how angry he was and again how he could just buy a house if he wanted to.

.Continues to tell me that he is working with multiple millionaires in CA, developing communities.

.Insists on having a guarantor sign the lease even though we told him he would qualify if his income checked out. 

Obviously we're not going to go with his application. I just thought I'd share this with BP and I'm also interested in what you guys have to say. 

I would tell him No.   If they are stressing you out during application then they will stress you out when they move in.  Peace of mind is important. I need to sleep comfortable at night.  Besides in my state I can deny someone based on credit and not being able to prove proof of employment.  If its a 4 family or under and we live in one of the units we can deny someone that we do not think we will get along with.  Check your states laws.

@Lelith Walker  I loved what you said from the beginning "If they are stressing you out during application then they will stress you out when they move in".

Deny the application if it starts out like this ..it will end up worse and a problematic tenant. Don't ignore these signs.

My appIication has a small app fee.  The fee is required to be paid before we can begin processing it, or it isn't yet complete.  No exceptions to observe equal housing/fair housing laws.  This application was not complete. With an incomplete application, you can just send it back to him. I love that he has owned 285 pieces of real estate! Mr Tall Tale can spin a yarn elsewhere, yeah??   Thanks for the laugh @Stanley Okazaki  !

Its one pile of red flags. A 15 year old with a FB can pop up with a web search, much less a big 'app developer' or what not. I've had a 'web presence' since I was in my teens, back before the internet was what it is today. If he was banging out $300k a year, why would he be renting? Anyone can doctrine a bank statement. I can make mine say I have $1M. Nothing adds up, send him to the curb. If he was making $300k a year, among working with millionaires in CA developing communities, you'd think he could find a place to live. Boot him, and don't look back. Don't even answer his calls.

He's a nut case. Steve has it right,  no app fee no further discussion.

There are so many skilled liars out there today, your instincts are worthless.

I just ran a report on what seemed a real straight up guy; only red flag was a big hurry to move in but he had a good story.

Report. Result: bankrupt, skipped on prior landlord, collections, foreclosure, 28 criminal appearances including sex crime…a real sweetheart.

Pass like gas.

We require 4 items when applying to rent.

1.  A completed, signed application.  It includes past history, financial history, references, bank info, etc.  If there is any false information discovered, then it is rejected.

2. A copy of a government issued ID.  We match the actual ID to the copy.

3.  Proof of income - paycheck stubs and/or tax returns.

4.  $25 application fee used to run a background and credit check.  Sometimes we run criminal, bankruptcy, and eviction reports.  All SSNs and names are verified.

With these items we can confirm the information.  If anything that does not meet our documented requirements (600 credit score, no evictions, 3x rent as income, etc), then we reject the application.  We use the same standards for all applications.

We try to turn every application into a non-emotional event.  By experience, gut feeling don't always tell you the truth (either good or bad), 

If he's not going to pay the app fee, run like the wind. The great thing about even having the application is it filters out all the people who wouldn't pass.

@Steve Vaughan  you're very welcome! Thanks for the feedback haha

@Stephen Schaefer  Seriously though, have you seen that show on MTV called catfish? 

@James McMillan  Wow, you never know. 

Account Closed That's a good point. By there just being an application process you filter out the majority of the un-qualified applicants. Thanks for the feed back...

Originally posted by @Stanley Okazaki :

.After reviewing his application & and googling his company's name we found nothing so we asked him to tell us why we couldn't find anything. He then proceeded to give me a call expressing how angry he was and again how he could just buy a house if he wanted to.

Offer to sell him the house for a cash offer, lol

And this proves sometimes you don't even need a finely tuned BS detector to weed out the crazies! Thanks for sharing. I keep telling my husband as we get into REI that we're going to get some of our own great stories like this along the way...

Originally posted by @Stanley Okazaki :

... He then proceeded to give me a call expressing how angry he was and again how he could just buy a house if he wanted to.

Tell him to go buy a house since he needs a place to live - because you aren't going to let him live at your place. 

Totally fishy.

When I rent to a tenant, I get the following:

1. Credit History

2. Eviction History

3. Criminal History

4. Monthy Income meets my criteria

5. Google search them by name

6. References from previous places they lived

If anything looks fishy, I move on to the next application.

@Jeremy Tillotson  hahaha! I doubt he'll want to bother with a small house like this one...he's got millionaire investors he's working with.

@Melanie Smith  yeah, people are professionals at this sort of thing. It's amazing at how articulate their lies are...

Why does he need to rent? He already lives at the institution.

If you are bored follow him and see where he lives....

Or just ignore him.

Frank

Frank Romine, Real Estate Agent in CA (#01957844)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.