Wanting the landlord to keep the security deposit because he's awesome

9 Replies

So we're getting ready to move. I've looked over our old lease and we seem to be okay. However, we've lived in this unit for almost 8 years, and the wear and tear is definitely more than yearly tenants. 

I know our previous landlord will probably have to do more than he would normally to lease the unit to someone new. There's nothing crazy, but is it going to sound weird if he offers us our security deposit back and we tell him to keep it?

He's been a great landlord (prompt about answering calls, sending out maintenance guys when the water pipe suddenly went nuts, completely replacing our old A/C unit) and we wouldn't be moving if my company wasn't transferring me. 

So, is it going to look weird if we don't ask for the security deposit back?

It is great you are feeling generous towards your landlord.  

Would you be willing to offer to show the place before your lease is up?  Will he re-rent or is he planning to sell? 

Having a tenant lined up when you leave maybe more valuable to him than getting to keep the security deposit.

Jesse,

That's a very good point (and it's actually what I did for my last landlord before I moved in with my husband). We've got some friends who are young professionals, recently married, who are looking for a place. We could recommend them. 

We'd be willing to show the place as long as they don't mind that the main furniture would still be there.

Those are good ideas; I'll call my LL and ask him. 

@Jamie Scharbrough  That's a pretty good thank you.  I'm sure you have been a great tenant, too.  Being a good landlord helps you attract good tenants and it is a win-win situation.  On his side he has saved by not having to get new tenants or prep the place for new tenants for eight years.  I wish all my tenants were like you.  Some are, and they are great.  Some...not so great.

It is definitely different.  I don't know about weird.  Good luck at your new location!

you can also help by fixing some of the damages if you feel capable. My tenants show the house and none of the applicants have had problems seeing the house furnished! 

@Larry T: We try, thanks!

@Elizabeth Colegrove : We'd already talked about that; there's some minor stuff that needs to be fixed or replaced that we were just going to do (one of the hinges on the toilet seat broke recently, so we were just going to replace it). There's some scuff marks near the fridge I know I can scrub out with no problem. 

There's nothing about nail marks in the walls on the lease, but from your opinions, should we cover those with that simple plaster stuff from Lowe's? It'd be easy to do, and our landlord was fine with us hanging pictures and stuff, I just don't know if I should cover them up or not. 

@Jamie Scharbrough  

It is great if a tenant patches the nail holes! I recently had a tenant do that and it was a lifesaver. All I had to do was paint then. I recently had another that did not and it took at least an hour inspecting each wall and patching.

Wow! If you ever need a place to rent in Saint Louis let me know! Sounds like great tenants to have. 

I had to check my calendar - I almost thought this was an early April Fool post :)

@Steve Babiak : No, sorry. We just really enjoyed our time in that place and we want to make it as easy as possible for our landlord. 

@Beth L.  Thanks! I'll get some of the plaster stuff from Lowe's then. 

@Ryan Dossey  Thank you! I doubt we'll be in St. Louis, but if we are, I'll be sure to look you up!

(Also not sure why some of the names get highlighted and the others don't. This forum has a funny way of doing it.)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.