Big tree in backyard. Good for rental and house value?

11 Replies

Hello everyone
I just bought my first investment property in Southern California. It has a big shady tree in the backyard which looks nice. But it has extended over both my roof and the neighbor's. The leaves are falling crazily. Now I have to decide whether I should keep and trim it and remove it for the peace of mind.
Some people say mature tree adds value to the house and some say it is hard to maintain. Animal may get in, root problem and roof damage.
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I have the same issue in Philadelphia. It has been 2 years, but come summer I'll be reluctantly cutting it down.

@Crystal Shi it really is a matter of a few factors.  What type of tree and it's condition and the type of foundation, (concrete slab or on piers?)?  You have to get a tree expert (arborist) to tell you about the health of the tree.  If you had your house inspected, an inspector would probably have found any foundation issues if you had any?

Sorry to only add more questions, but these are a few factors to consider.  I just took out (cut down) a couple of mature trees at a couple properties because of proximity to the house and condition.  It was unfortunate, but necessary. 

While large trees can be very nice, they also are very expensive if they have to be cut down or have branches trimmed.  It probably is worth having an arborist come out to take a look.

I just had a guy come out and remove the 2 large branches that were hanging way over the house. The rest of the tree is about 35' from the house so I decided to leave it there. If it falls now it will not do any house damage.  

It cost me $125 to have the guy come

I had a nice large tree in the backyard of one of my rentals. It really makes a place look inviting. Sadly, my tree started dying, and then got damaged in a storm so I had to cut it down. 

Nicole A., New Page LLC | [email protected] | 305‑537‑6252

I want to thank you for all advices. I appreciate all the input.

This is a property for long term rental so the first thing come to my mind is to just get rid of the trouble. But I heard that shade tree is good to have in summer and may raise house value somehow. I am still trying to compare the pros and cons. 

Originally posted by @Robert Leonard :

@Crystal Shi 

I don't know much about trees.It look healthy to me. But the inspector found no damage to the foundation (raised and on piers) . I would say that it is relatively close to the property. 30 feet maybe.  The walkway under the tree is cracked and uneven already.

Here is  a photo

https://flic.kr/p/qQ7Xuo

It will likely add value of the curb appeal variety. We removed a eucalyptus when one next to it split and almost took out the house, but we kept all the others, added one and will add another this year and then maintain them. 

Consider asking the arborist about the health and do some maintenance/trimming if it is still healthy. Save the $ for when it needs to be removed.

Our neighbor has a huge and beautiful tree that extends multiple times over their house and dropped over $15K into supporting it with cables, don't know that I would go that far.

And yes there is a noticeable change in the AC bill in the summer when we had to take one out that covered the house at another location. Prior to that it was a selling point when it was time to rent it out.

I was told by the tree guy that the tree will not have root issue to the house. But the branches need to be trimmed. The trim cost $700 every 5 years and the removal cost $1700.
Either way it is expensive.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you