PM and Rentals

4 Replies

Good evening, I have a question about private money and a possible rental property.

Excuse the possible noob question... If I acquired a property using PM and I turned it into a rental property. How would I pay my private lender back? Would it be every month or a lump sum after the end of a set date? or Private lenders dont lend out to acquire rental properties.

Thanks all for any information if wanting to add any addition information that would be awesome. I am trying to understand this a bit better.

Balloons can be attractive to get a property paid off quickly but im a fan of PM interest only loans to finance buying and the renovation process. Then refinance to a conventional loan for the duration of the holding process.

@Al C.  Didn't the lender provide you with the terms of paying them back BEFORE they gave you the money, including information like the interest rate you're paying, etc.?

These are things that I would want to know before I ever agreed to take a loan because it would have a serious impact on my ability to run a profitable property.  Not having this information could lead to confusion between the two of you and having a day in court because of disagreement.    I hope it turns out well for you.  Get it all in writing ASAP.

Medium exp realty smallDarren Sager, EXP Realty | [email protected] | 862‑208‑2287 | http://www.exprealty.com/ | Podcast Guest on Show #48

@Al C.  

I assume you have not yet done a deal with private money. These are all things you will want to work out with your potential lender. All things in RE are negotiable. You may find 3 lenders who want to do the deal 3 different ways.

Medium holton wise property group logo jpegJames Wise, The Holton Wise Property Group | [email protected] | 216‑661‑6633 | http://www.HoltonWisePropertyGroup.com | Podcast Guest on Show #127

@Darren Sager   Thank for for the valuable information. At the moment have not set any terms. Will keep in mind in the future. 

@James Wise   I have not worked with a private lender before. I am looking to ask my father in-law for the money but I want to treat it as a private lender and keep it business professional. The main thing for me would paying him his money back and well looks like I first have to ask how soon would he want he cash back? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you