Tenant application background check

8 Replies

I live in a city that does not have a landlords association so I'm on my own when it comes to screening potential tenants. I feel my current system could be improved. Does anyone have advice on specific online background services that work for them at an affordable rate or techniques that have worked for them to weed out the potential problem tenants. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

Hi Brian,

I use https://www.tenantverification.com/

Like many services, they give you a range of credit score and not the actual number. They do full background checks and eviction too if you buy that option.  It's hard to know how good everyone is unless you run cross checks with another service, but assuming they get a lot of info from one of the major services.

These guys have found evictions and credit issues with tenants so I've been pretty happy.

I also like that I can report payment history for the tenants, both good and bad. A little extra incentive for them to keep up on payments.

Allen

I should follow that with I have no affiliation, I'm just a customer of theirs.

Here are 2 that I have used. They give a nice thorough report.

Tenant Background Search

My Rental

Originally posted by @Bryan Smith :

I live in a city that does not have a landlords association so I'm on my own when it comes to screening potential tenants. I feel my current system could be improved. Does anyone have advice on specific online background services that work for them at an affordable rate or techniques that have worked for them to weed out the potential problem tenants. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

Trust, but verify. Credit is Credit, so just make sure it's a real Experian/TransUnion/Equifax report.

Evictions depend on provider and state. 

Landlord and Employment Verification - get the landlord name and the employer name - find the number yourself and call and ask for the person listed, as opposed to relying on the phone number provided.

If you can get copies of bank statements, or get them to sign a 4506-T (without even actually sending it in), then they're probably telling the truth.

Here in ct you can go on the states judicial website and search for evictions, civil, criminal, family, records. All for free since its public info. Your state should have the same data available. I start there before I spend any money on a credit check.

@Shawn M.

That is actually great advice, I had never really thought about.

I have used various services for tenant checks, and most recently the Smartmove service affiliated with BP. You can find a link to it in the member benefits section of the site, but I like that all you include is basic information from the tenant and the service charges them and does everything else. I would normally then call their current landlord and request an employment verification.

Good luck.

When someone responds to one of our ads we let them know the general requirements upfront:

• no felonies
  • no evictions
  • take home income at minimum 3 times the monthly rent (2.5 times for a unit that includes heat and hot water)

From there we let them them know there is a $25 application fee per adult.  At this point the only people who are going to proceed and make an appointment are those who fit the requirements.  It is a big time saver for you and takes about a minute to do.

If someone decides to apply we use iCreditvision which gives you a full credit, criminal, and eviction check all on one report.  We then evaluate the report along with the paystubs they provided and make a decision.

@Shawn M.  

@Michael Noto  

@Daniel Raposo  

Just so you CT guys know, the CT court system is not entirely current and only goes back 7 years on felonies/misdemeanors. I'm not sure how far back they are on civil.

The guys at courtpcofct.com have a better archive, I Don't know if they only work with screening companies or work direct. You can email them and ask. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.