STINKY STOVE

2 Replies

I recently have had a new tenant move in to an apt that has been rehabed after being vacant for 5 years. She claimed the stove smelled like mouse urine when she turned the oven on. She thinks the insulation is saturated with mouse pee... I went with a can of oven cleaner to find she had cleaned it, all i could smell was cleaner when i turned it on. Any ideas how to proceed?

You hypothesis is most likely correct.  If you have had mice in between the skins of the stove and the insulation is full of faeces and urine, it cannot be cleaned and you would have to dismantle the stove to replace it.   Probably time for a new (to you) stove. 

1(506) 471-4126

Hello Stephan,

I agree with Ron, time for a new stove.  Are there any used appliance stores in your area?  Or find out where the returns go from your local big box stores- I recently found a Sears Appliance outlet near me and bought myself a dishwasher and one of my rentals a stove.  They typically cost 35-45% less there and still offer delivery, some items were new in box even!

I just noticed you are in MI- the Sears Outlet is on Telegraph in Taylor, not sure if it'd be worth the trip for you but you can search on line to see what they have in stock and for how much.

Kelly

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.