I advised my landlord that I will not be renewing my lease, which expires on May 31, 2015. I have two question:
1. When can my landlord start showing my apartment to potential renters? A month before end of lease? Two months? I want to cooperate, but I really don't want someone popping by in, say, March.
2. As my lease expires on May 31, does that mean I need to vacate on that date? The problem I'm having in my new apartment isn't available until June 1, so I'd like to arrange for a mover very early morning on June 1.
I've been a very good tenant and want to be cooperative.
I appreciate any advice,
I think you will have to compromise a little. If you help the landlord out by showing the unit early he may be able to find someone to move in after the 1st. Thus letting you stay an extra day.
But technically he can show the apt whenever he/she wants and you have to vacate by the 31st. Good luck
I spoke with my LL and he said it was his policy to have tenants move by 12pm on the last day of their lease. He was really nasty about it. I can understand his having a policy, but he could have at least have been civil.
I think my best bet is to find a place on or about May 1st, as I find moving to be really stressful. But as he doesn't want to even be pleasant, he can have the keys to the place on the very last day of the month, even if the apartment is vacant for most of the month. Had he been non-abrasive, I'd have let him take possession the day I moved.
Thanks for your advice.
at least in california a landlord must give 24 hours notice to show the apt,inspections etc, your cooperation can make the move easier but uou dont have to have a parade of tenants going thru your place
That is true here, too -- actually it's 48hrs notice. I'll mail him the state regs so he understands.. He's a very old man and I think he doesn't quite understand that not only tenants have to abide by the law.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community
Basic membership is free, forever.