IS A PROPERTY MANAGER ESSENTIAL?

5 Replies

This is my first topic so ill do my best to make my self clear. I have some commercial properties in Miami and as the numbers become to get bigger and as the market starts to move up , i wonder whether theres is a necessity for a property manager . I believe that hiring an administrative who is constantly working to get new tenants and making the current ones happy might be a better option. What do you think?

@Gero Alonso  I believe it depends on your personal situation and skillsets. For residential management it is just as easy to a couple of your own properties than it is to manage the manager. For Commercial real estate- which I am assuming office/retail- things get a little different.

The skills a qualified manager brings to the table is knowing the market. It is all they do so they should be able to do it well. They will also know what a good tenant mix is for, say a strip mall or office building. They also will be able to better negotiate leases and even lease-buyouts. There are a number of factors to consider especially in the commercial  real estate realm, in my opinion.

If you were to hire an administrative assistant to manage the properties for you and find you new tenants do they have the resources in marketing, leasing and financial operations of a property? If the don't then do you? Do you have the time or the willingness to do so at this point?

Allot of things to consider!

Not if you just carry the note and don't rent. I rent AND carry the notes, and I am starting to prefer the latter. Many on this board may not agree with me. Good luck finding your PM. 

@Marcus Curtis im from Argentina , i dont have that much time to take care but neither does a property manager as he has many other properties under care. Every time i acquire a new property i hire a person who is in charge of telling me which the distribution of stores should be like ( example. 2 food stores , 1 insurance company) so with that in hand i believe i can hire an administrative, give him the retail lease trac subscription and make him call and show the property all day long . What do you think? 

@Account Closed
Please stop posting your solicitations in all the forums. I read 3 of these same posts today. You need to go to marketplace or a different website.

My two cents, it all boils down to the cost of hiring management. Speaking from experience, there are a lot of good commercial property agents that also manage properties in Miami. You just need to know who to ask to find someone trustworthy. 

Are you tired of dealing with your tenants? Then if the numbers make sense and you find someone you can trust, I say hire them. You won't make as much money but your investment will be secure and you will have one less thing to lose sleep over. 

I invest in apartment buildings but always looking to meet new people in my neighborhood. Send me a message if you ever want to talk. Would love to hear more about what you do. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here