Rental incentive ideas

11 Replies

I have a property that is unoccupied and not moving even after lowering the rent.

I have it listed on various sites etc. Is there something I am missing to get it rented?

I would love to hear your ideas! Thanks!

Are you getting no calls at all, or are you getting calls doing showings and no one applies, or are you getting applications but no one passes your screening?

No Calls  No showings! Even had an open house yesterday no one showed up.

Logic says no one is seeing your ads or they see and don't like the price or dont want to waste their time if no pictures are posted, or the pictures make the place look dirty.  Suppy and demand. Price location condition.

Great looking home! What are the comps in that area? It is hard to say whether or not it is priced right being that it's Calgary. That could be a good price for that area, it's hard to tell. Is $1 per sq. ft normal rental price for you area? Dropping $4200 to move into a rental is no easy task for most folks. If they had that kind of money, wouldn't they be buying?

It may be the wrong time of year depending on school schedules for families. I know no one around here wants to move until school is out (May).

@Natalie Sugden  

Perhaps you will need to consider allowing pets?  I know there are valid reasons not to, but you probably eliminate over half of your potential tenants right there?

@Natalie Sugden , the home is beautiful.  Is there an overabundance of rentals in the area?  I deal in lower end homes but "as a rule of thumb"...i hate that phrase...I charge half of the rent as my deposit.  Example $1000 monthly rent, deposit would be $500.  Has worked well for me.   I have asked for first and last months rent as well as half of rent as security deposit in certain situations.  From the pics, I cannot see any reason it would not be receiving calls.  Have you checked comps?  Talk with property managers in your area and get their opinion.  Best of luck, Mike

OH Canada!  Anyway, I like Craigs List, Postlets, and Rentlinx.  All free. Good luck!

Originally posted by @Ken A. :

OH Canada!  Anyway, I like Craigs List, Postlets, and Rentlinx.  All free. Good luck!

None of which will get you much traction in Canada.

Here you are better off to list your rental on Kijiji.

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

Originally posted by @Roy N. :
Originally posted by @Ken A.:

None of which will get you much traction in Canada.

Here you are better off to list your rental on Kijiji.

This is true until you get out to BC and (and even some areas of Alberta) where Craigslist is far more popular for some reason. Never did understand why though. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you