Lease Language

4 Replies

I want to add language to my lease that states tenant must pay legal & other costs when evicted. If anyone has such language or can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I would Google Lease Agreement for your state and look for the Bar approved or Realtor Association approved lease. Or you could get a blank copy from your attorney or a leasing agent and then just copy what you want from there. Or better yet you might consider using theirs.

You could put a simple clause stating that in the event of legal action for any reason that the prevailing party is entitled to legal expenses and related costs. I also added in that tenants are responsible for any fines or fees due to code violations as well.

John Thedford, Real Estate Agent in FL (#BK3098153)
239-200-5600

You may find that most legal action already includes 'loser-pays' terminology.  When we get a judgement in an eviction the legal fees are itemized into the the filed paperwork. A Small Claim (up to $5,000 in our state -Washington) also includes court costs. 

This is the clause from the Nolo Press contract I used in California.  I love the Nolo contracts, they're so simple and easy for tenants to understand, which I think is important.  Simple and clear.

22.Payment of Attorney Fees in a Lawsuit. In any action or legal proceeding to enforce any part of this Agreement, the prevailing party shall recover reasonable attorney fees and court costs.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.