30 day notice to vacate

4 Replies

hello everyone. I have a question and need advice. My tenants lease will terminate on April 30, can I give them a 30 day notice as of today or do I have to wait for the lease to expire. I'm in California. Thank you

@Marcos A. this is a state specific question but in my experience a 30 day notice must be given prior to the end of the current rental period. In other words for the termination notice to be effective for April 30th you would have had to serve it by March 31st. At this point a 30 day notice served today gives the tenant until May 30th to vacate. You missed your window. 

@Rob belan so technically if I give them a notice today it would be a 60 day notice?

Actually the rules are differ from one state to other. But I would like to tell you on the basis of my experience that it is good to give  a 30 days notice before the lease will expire.

@Marcos A. No, you don't have to wait for the lease to expire. 

In California if the tenants have been there a year or longer, you have to give them 60 days notice.  If your tenants have not been there a full year yet, you can just give them 30 days notice (unless your lease says otherwise).

And, in CA, notice is calendar days.  So, you could give notice today for them to be out in 30 days.  In other words, you could give notice on the 3rd for the tenancy to end on the 3rd of the following month (or whichever day 30 days works out to be).

The law is here:  

http://dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/moving...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you