• Contractor
  • new paltz, NY
Votes |
Litigious Tenant

Christian Lincoln
  • Contractor
  • new paltz, NY
Posted May 20 2015, 13:56

A kid moved into my 6 bedroom house. After he moved in he tells me he has asthma and the other kids smoke in the house. I write a tough email to other tenants defending this kid and telling them no smoking AT ALL in house. It's in the lease. After another complaint from kid and another Threat of Eviction letter to my tenants, by all accounts, except for new kid, I'm told they stopped smoking in house.

Kid leaves abruptly and I reluctantly let  him after 3 or 4 months even though I lose a couple months rent.  

Now the mother wants all her money back, rental money included and is threatening to sue via her attorney.  Sue me for what I'm not sure. Her attorney says I put the kid at risk and broke laws by letting kids smoke.  Her Attorney also requesting I pay his bill, already in second correspondence. Granted the address of parent and lawyer is affluent Westchester NY town, but still, I went to the defense of her son 2 or 3 times and then she wants to sue me for second hand smoke or particulates in the air after they stopped smoking.  What would you do?

Loading replies...