• Investor
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
Inheriting A Tenant That Doesn't Run the Air Conditioner

Brandon Johnson
  • Investor
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Posted May 22 2015, 09:44

I am currently purchasing a duplex and inheriting a tenant who doesn't run the air conditioner because "it is a lot cheaper that way."  I learned this the same time the seller did during my inspection of the unit as they are fairly new tenants and summer just began.  

We went in and the seller asked his tenant if there was something he needed to know about and he said know he just prefers to run fans instead of central AC.  The AC does work and there are no problems with it, but my question is wanting to know if this is bad for either the HVAC system itself or for the building.  We are in south Louisiana and it humid and HOT down here in the summer.  I can't see how the guy can live like this much less subject his wife/girlfriend and two young children to it.  They all had beads of sweat on their faces and looked miserable.  Would not running air conditioning setup conditions for moisture and mold to develop in the unit during the heat of the summer?  Any other red flags this sends up for anyone?

I am in Baton Rouge, LA to be more specific.

Loading replies...