Home is zoned non rental

2 Replies

Hello BP,

I have a friend here in Wa who has section 8 assistance. She found a home to move in to however when section 8 went to inspect the home before approval they said it wouldn't be approved be caused it is zoned non rental. Who zones this one home as a non rental and is it possible to have this house be approved a ms a rental property?

Thanks again

Hi Lawrence,

I'm not from WA, but I've never heard this as a pure zoning. If it's a house, it's probably zoned SFR. Now there might be an ordinance by the city that doesn't allow rentals or has put a moratorium on rentals for a certain time period.

If the house is located within an HOA, then the association could impose a no rental rule in the CC&Rs.

If neither of those exist, it's time to dig a little deeper and see. Maybe Section 8 people that inspected could clarify why they think that.

Good luck.

This would be the landlord's problem, honestly.  Your friend needs to trust the HA.  HA's want to find landlords for their voucher holders, so if there was any way this landlord could be approved, and the landlord was willing to do what was necessary, they would be there to help.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.