Navajo white paint -- which brand do you use?

7 Replies

I see that a lot of landlords like Navajo White, but every brand has their own color. Benjamin Moore is very light. Behr is kinda yellowish. Scherwin Williams is in between. Which one is the best for rentals?

Originally posted by @Andy Kaye :

I see that a lot of landlords like Navajo White, but every brand has their own color. Benjamin Moore is very light. Behr is kinda yellowish. Scherwin Williams is in between. Which one is the best for rentals?

Wouldn't put white in a rental if you paid me to.

White tells a tenant that its a blank canvas and they can do whatever they want. Which they will.

Chose builders beige, mid tint for living areas, light tint for the bedrooms, and then for the bathroom, corridor and kitchen decide whether these are bright or dark rooms and use accordingly.

Valspar 2000 (used to be called contractor paint) from Lowes.

Originally posted by @James DeRoest :
Originally posted by @Andy Kaye:

Wouldn't put white in a rental if you paid me to.

White tells a tenant that its a blank canvas and they can do whatever they want. Which they will.

Chose builders beige, mid tint for living areas, light tint for the bedrooms, and then for the bathroom, corridor and kitchen decide whether these are bright or dark rooms and use accordingly.

Valspar 2000 (used to be called contractor paint) from Lowes.

Dude Navajo White isn't white. its more like ivory-beige.

We recently switched to Sherwin Williams property solutions paint from Valspar 2000 series paint it is a little more but saves time in labor on second coats. We use a off white color satin or egg shell finish doesn't really matter what color. What ever you prefer pick one color and stick with it.

If you choose a light enough color you can paint the walls, trim, doors and ceiling all the same color and it looks good.

On a high end rentals we do a 2 tone paint job with same color walls and bright white trim.

The owner I worked for has several apartment buildings around the SF Bay Area.  He paints all units with Kelly Moore "bone."  He paints the trim bright white.

Buys it by the truck load.  LOL.  It's handy that they're all the same, as it's easy to just run a roller half way up the walls when a tenant moves out, normally.  And maybe a little touch-up to the trim.

As a 15 year paint professional, I would use s little bit deeper of a color. PPG's Pony Tail is one of my favorites.

We use the Glidden version of Navajo White (Egg Shell) 6011 base @ Home Depot for all of our rental properties with B Moore Super White for the trim. It looks so nice that we did our house with it as well.

Benjamin Moore. It costs more but the quality is great and I can phone ahead to get it mixed and waiting for me or my contractor to pick up. Even though I use eggshell, I have had no problems with wiping down walls or touching up between tenants. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.