Life after your tenant's background check.

12 Replies

Hi guys, looking for some feedback on this idea.  Let me know what you think.  

So you've done everything right as far as pre-screening your tenants.  But what about life events that happen to your tenants after the background check?  Often as landlords we are the last to know when a major life event happens to a tenant that may affect our rent being paid.  

Would you like to be notified when your tenant was arrested, filed for bankruptcy, began divorce proceedings, etc? 

Would this information get you ahead of the curve with the possibility of having to start the eviction process, cash for keys, finding a new tenant , etc?  

I don't think it really matters. We're just their landlord and don't need to know everything going on in their life.

When the rent doesn't get paid, you act swiftly to start the eviction process. That's it.

305-537-6252
Originally posted by @Nicole W.:

I don't think it really matters. We're just their landlord and don't need to know everything going on in their life.

When the rent doesn't get paid, you act swiftly to start the eviction process. That's it.

Ditto this.  Once they are screened and in the door, it's not my right to know any more about them as long as the rent is paid on time.  That said, we do set expectations with all of our tenants that we assess late fees *the moment* that rent is late, and that we begin eviction proceedings as soon as we are legally able to if they don't pay or violate any terms of their lease.

Another vote for "no," here.  I don't believe the initial permission to run credit checks, etc., includes the right to do it at will after they've been approved.  Once they're in, there are laws to help evict if they don't pay, etc.  And a 6 month inspection will show if there is any damage, etc.

I'm waiting for the sales pitch.  What great product will update us more about the drama and daily babysitting issues than we already deal with?  Please, please, do tell!

Originally posted by @Chris Politylo :

Would this information get you ahead of the curve with the possibility of having to start the eviction process, cash for keys, finding a new tenant , etc?  

Dont be an *** and get in other peoples business.

Wait for the rent to be late and then get involved however you see fit, which either be eviction or working with them.

Everyone is saying wait for the rent to be late, don't worry about it, non of our business. I agree that they have their own lives and we shouldn't pry into them, but if they are getting arrested and causing issues after they become your tenant, isn't that just as bad? If they become a felon after they sign your lease that's not something we should know about? I know by this point it would be too late to do anything about it, but when time comes to resign the lease how many of us will do another background check on the same person? I am not disagreeing with anyone on this just throwing in some food for thought.

If they pay on time, report maintenance issues in a timely manner, aren't trashing the property and aren't harassing you then who cares....

If you don't care, then why run their record prior to taking them on as a tenant?  What if that felony that they have just been convicted of requires them to register as a sex offender?  I would like to know that before I go to the house to make a repair.

You could always "what if" until the end of time....

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

If you don't care, then why run their record prior to taking them on as a tenant?  What if that felony that they have just been convicted of requires them to register as a sex offender?  I would like to know that before I go to the house to make a repair.

Because the chances of someone having a clean record prior to renting and then becoming a felon and/or sex offender is pretty slim.

Originally posted by @Bryan N. :

You could always "what if" until the end of time....

100% AGREE!

@Wes Eaves

You are correct.  People don't usually become felons overnight....but when they do get caught and charged, it is just something I'd like to know. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.