Votes
Crystal Ward
  • Vero Beach, FL
Votes |
Should I rent to a felon?

Crystal Ward
  • Vero Beach, FL
Posted Jun 3 2015, 00:47

Tenant and his wife filled out a rental application 2 weeks back. I gave full disclosure that I will preform a credit and background check. 

When presented with this information he explained he had a felony 7 years ago for theft when him and his wife took flags from a golf course. They were 18 and 19. He then explained that he was unsure what their credit score would be because he and his wife don't use credit. 

I told them to fill out the application and I would get back to them. 

I was able to verify from the background check and calling up the courthouse in his previous location that they were telling the truth about the golf flags. 

That was the only offense on either or their records. Their credit score came back less than stellar but was consistent with not using credit. 

They had no prior evictions and his income is well within the 3x mark.

I called their previous landlord 3 days ago and she gave a highly positive review of the couple and told me they even cleaned her carpets for her before they left. They had never been late on rent the 2 years they lived with her and anytime she stopped by the house was tidy and they addressed any issues within a few days. I asked if she was aware of their history when she rented to them and she said she was.

They seemed like pretty genuine people. I didn't get any weird vibe from them. They seemed very well spoken. I don't know. I havent rented to felons before just because it's never came up.

I haven't had any interest in 5 weeks. I'm really considering it. 

What do you think? Would you do it?

Loading replies...