Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Chris Walters
  • Loganville, GA
Votes |
Deducting from security deposit due to room not cleaned?

Chris Walters
  • Loganville, GA
Posted Jun 11 2015, 14:53

I've had a good stay as I have been renting out a bedroom in a Georgia home. This is until the lease has ended 6 months later and I have moved out. I didn't have a vacuum cleaner or broom, so when I left I packed all my things, wipe the bathroom toilet/sink, wipe kitchen cabinets and pick up any noticeable things on the bedroom floor. Note before I moved in the floor was vacuum but there was a sweat stain on the wall, tons of short black hairs in the bathroom tub, and a toilet paper behind the toilet (suggesting floor wasn't swept). The landlord was unaware of this and he never deducted anything from the tenant.

Now my question is this. Landlord wants me to come back and wipe the bathroom mirrors with windex, use his vacuum to do the bedroom floor, clean better in the shower tub, and sweep the floor by the door path where I kept my shoes. Otherwise he is threatening to take money from the security deposit.

If I missed spots, I have no problem cleaning it up, there's no argument there. I just don't like that I am being threaten with my security deposit. I am going to clean it regardless but I want to know if he actually has grounds to withhold some of my $550 deposit.

I don't see it in the Rental/Lease agreement as those are not damages and would fall under "reasonable wear and tear". Can someone post their opinion if the Landlord (homeowner) can actually withhold some of the deposit.

The Landlord will return the Security Deposit at the end of this tenancy, less such deductions as provided in this Lease but no deduction will be made for damage due to reasonable wear and tear nor for any deduction prohibited by the Act.

1. During the Term of this Lease or after its termination, the Landlord may charge the Tenant or make deductions from the Security Deposit for any or all of the following:
  1. Repair of walls due to large nails or any unreasonable number of holes in the walls including the repainting of such damaged walls;
  2. Repairing cuts, burns, or water damage to tile, linoleum, carpet and other areas;
  3. Repainting required to repair the results of any other improper use or excessive damage by the Tenant;
  4. Repairs and replacement required where windows are left open which have caused plumbing to freeze, or rain or water damage to floors or walls; and
  5. Replacing damaged or missing doors, windows, screens, mirrors or light fixtures;
  6. Any other repairs or cleaning due to any damage beyond normal wear and tear caused or permitted by the Tenant or by any person whom the Tenant is responsible for;
  7. Unplugging toilets, sinks and drains;
  8. Any other purpose allowed under this Lease or the Act.

Loading replies...