Renter with non working girlfriend

4 Replies

How do you evaluate a renters ability to pay if they have a non working girlfriend and child?

I know 3 times rent is rule but do you increase this by the number of others in the home?

Also what to do with people who claim to have no rental history because they lived with family? is this common lie told by bad tenets? 

Hi Fred,

You might find this BP post about screening potential tenants helpful: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/10/1...

You have to be careful and not cross the border with the law regarding familial status.

I would stick to financial and credit requirements to determine eligibility for the apt.

Do credit and background checks on both and let them pay. the links below will help.

www.residentresearch.com

www.youcheckcredit.com

If they don't qualify, use this failure to move to the next tenant. But, don't reject because of kids or other familial relations....it's illegal.

Medium stml logoLinval T., STML Housing Solutions, LLC | [email protected] | 678‑922‑2477 | http://www.stmlhousing.com | NY Agent # 40TA0997583

Maybe i asked the question the wrong way.

Does the number of non working adults wanting to rent effect how you evaluate their ability to pay?  

i see this questions asked as 3 x gross vs net pay ?

The link above from owen doesn't work

I'll answer the 2nd question in your post- the no rental history. I NEVER rent to someone who is not currently in an established rental situation that can be checked up on , visited and verified (meaning "local" , not living at home, or staying with a friend, or just in from out of town....)  There is no other way to know (not guess) ahead of time, what type of tenant they are now, and most likely will be for you.  Also, I never put a couple together in my unit, who aren't currently together in a rental situation now. My unit will not become their domestic experiment.  And yes, bad tenants will say all kinds of things to get into your unit.  Remember, it's not your job to find out if they are a bad tenant, it's your job to VERIFY that they are a good tenant.  There's a difference.  Hope that helps.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you