First rental property under contract

3 Replies

I have been in the background on BP trying to learn all I could absorb for our investing.  We are now under contract for our first rental property and have tenants in place that will be moving out 3-4 days after we close.  The current owner didn't use a formal walk through check list, but said he looked for clean when tenants vacated. There is a lease in place that starts 10 days after the current lease expires and I want to be sure to start out on the right "foot" with the tenants.  I'm hoping some can share or tell us from your experience any items that are crucial to include on the following:

List for tenants departing,  check list for cleaning etc.

Walk through check list new tenant.

Hand out to educate new renters for what is expected, rent payments to be sent/deposited to: (new owner). 

Thank you all for your help!

That walk thru check list is for your benefit as much as their benefit.  Don't leave home without it....and pictures too.

Here is what we put in our move out letter, which may be helpful to build on:

Specifically, here's a list of items you should thoroughly clean before vacating:

[ ] Floors

[ ] sweep/mop laminate floors

[ ] vacuum carpets and rugs (shampoo if necessary)

[ ] mop kitchen and bathroom floors

[ ] Walls, baseboards, ceilings, and built-in shelves

[ ] Kitchen cabinets, countertops and sink, stove and oven--inside and out

[ ] Refrigerator--clean inside and out, empty it of food

[ ] Bathtubs, showers, toilets, and plumbing fixtures

[ ] Doors, windows, and window coverings

Please don't leave anything behind--that includes bags of garbage, clothes, food, newspapers, furniture, appliances, dishes, plants, cleaning supplies, or other items that belong to you.

For move in, put all info in the rental agreement.  We provide one sheet with our contact info repeated and the contact info for utilities.

Congratulations on your new property!

We have forms that we use for all of this:

• Move-in lease signing and house rules
  • How to pay rent
  • Move out packet
  • Etc.

Everything is documented and enforceable.

I know that there are a lot of good forms on Bigger Pockets, and we have made a lot of these forms available on our website too.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.