Need some quick advice about getting tenants out.

1 Reply

I have some tenants that gave my their 30 day notice last month and said they would be out this Tuesday the 30th. I just got a message from them saying they haven't found a place yet and want until the end of the week to move out. I already have a lease with new tenants to get in on July 1st so what should I do? How can I get them out?

Hello Quintin,

You need to talk to them ASAP and let them know that they can't stay and why.  Sometimes these issues are best resolved with conversation.  Once you have that talk, you may need to give the incoming tenants a heads up that things might be delayed...

Does your lease say anything about "holdover" tenancy?  Mine didn't, but will from now on.  The leases we recently got from a new purchase state that they do not allow holdover tenancy, and the consequences (paying for extra days, paying for expedited cleaning, and the possibility of being taken to court to pay for the expenses of the incoming tenants) to discourage this.  It also has a clause for ths incoming tenants stating that the landlord isn't responsible if they have done everything possible to prevent the holdover of the previous tenants.

There is also the "cash for keys" method- would they leave on time if you gave them $100 to do so?  How much would it take, and is it worth it to you?

Kelly

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.