If sharing office space with Church a problem

6 Replies

Hello,

We have an office building which is two-level, plus basement. A church wants to rent the first floor and basement. Some friend said that if the church rent the lower level, we might have problem in renting out the second floor, especially for prospective tenants who are not religious. What do you think? Thank you so much!

Emma

Religion is one of those protected classes.  I don't think you would be able to not rent to them just because they are a church. 

Thanks a lot for the reply, Shamus. 

I find it hard to believe a business would shy away from an office just because a church is in the building.

Hi,

Have 8 rentals and take care of my church's building which includes 2500 sq ft of rental space which we rent to non profits.  Have multiple organizations that would take open space with us.  Their space is in another wing with offices but we generate $30,000/yr income from renting to others than our church.

I've been looking for office space in multiple times I've been told they don't want a church there.

A church would be a great renter and neighbor.
The church would probably keep good care of the property and they are usually only active on the weekends and evenings which mean the other unit wont really be disturbed by a church during business hours.

503‑871‑2961

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you