Replace stove or Nah

7 Replies

I'm a new investor and for the last 3 years I've had a revolving door with tenants paying their rent. My new situation involves a single mother of 2. She has been late two months in a row. Recently I reminded her about the late fee and she got upset and ask me about a stove I told her I would replace, because it didn't match the other appliances. The stove is in great working condition it just not Stainless Steele. I told her let's try to pay the rent on time then we can worry about cosmetics. What should I do besides the obvious which is screen my tenants carefully.

I was taught when I first got in this business that to make a home ready to lease out that the object would be to have everything clean and functional. I would not even consider replacing it because it doesn't match under the circumstances.

This post has been removed.

There's nothing wrong with keeping the mismatching stove, but there is a correlation between the property and the tenants. If you do the bare minimum as a landlord, you'll get the bottom of the tenant pool, or lots of vacancy because better tenants want better places.  You've got to decide what is more important to you.

or, more humorously:

"Now, you know it's up to you whether or not you want to just do the bare minimum. Or... well, like Brian, for example, has thirty seven pieces of flair, okay. And a terrific smile." (Stan. Office Space).  Yeah we all hate Brian, and love when Jennifer Aniston flips off Stan, but Brian still has a job and probably makes great tips.

Nope, don't replace the stove. Start eviction immediately according to lease. The longer you keep a troubled tenant, the more $$ you lose. Remember, you are running a business, and everything must be treated with a professional matter.

Has she actually broken the lease, or just paid within the late period?  If she's later than your grace date, I agree, evict.  Then think about replacing the stove for the reason I mentioned above.

Originally posted by @Sy Collins :
She has been late two months in a row. Recently I reminded her about the late fee and she got upset and ask me about a stove I told her I would replace, because it didn't match the other appliances. 

I would not replace the stove.  However, I also would never have told the tenant in the first place that I would replace the stove.  Your problem is you told her you would do it.  

At this point, you are either going to have a contentious landlord-tenant relationship for the duration of her tenancy.  Or, you two (meaning you) are going to mend this relationship to a good place that will benefit you both.  

Personally, I would tell her I would replace the stove when she began paying the rent on time.  Or, if she is truly a tenant you would rather do without, give her a 30-day notice if she is a month-to-month tenant, and start over.  But, your better option is probably just find an inexpensive matching stove and move the one in her unit to another property you own.  Or sell it on Craigslist.

It is the TENANT that does not match. Replace her.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.