Hayley Courtney
  • Spring Branch, TX
Votes |
Question about legal process for eviction

Hayley Courtney
  • Spring Branch, TX
Posted Jul 17 2015, 07:27

Hi all, 

I have a tenant in an inherited property that is sponsored by HUD. She has not paid anything in rent since September, 2014 when my grandparents passed away (they owned the property). We notified HUD in May that she was not going to pay any rent or back rent so they issued her a notice to vacate on May 29th. She has since left the property but refused to return the key. She also left a few small items behind (an old TV, a bed, ironing board and a drawer of junk). She is not living at the property and left the doors unlocked but no key was left. I need to go in and change the locks so we can get the property ready for a new tenant. I do not want anything to come back and bite me so I am looking for advice. Since she has left the property should I take the remaining items and leave them under the carport for pick up and re-key the locks or do I have to go through the formal eviction process through the courts? It doesn't seem like it is worth the effort since she abandoned the property and will not return phone calls.

Thanks in advance! Any help is appreciated.

Loading replies...