• Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Help with Tenant Screening with Disability

Luis Pereiro
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Jul 27 2015, 21:16

Hello. I have a unique issue with a specific tenant. Here is the story. During my open house Saturday, lady comes to me that she would like her brother to rent the property from me. But that he can only afford to pay $1000/mth, so she is willing to pay the difference of $150 for the 12 moths up front, which I think is great and immediately consider him as a top candidate. Today I call and speak with him. Not sure what is the best way to say this without sounding offensive, but the brother is "slow". He is able to answer most of my screening questions. He states that he has been working at Walmart for 8yrs but doesn't know how much he makes, but works Mon-Sat. He actually lives in the same neighborhood and reason for moving is he wants to live alone. currently lives with roommates. I also find out that the sister is the landlord. I have set an appointment to meet him Wednesday to show the property and review his last 2 months pay stubs. The money upfront is a big plus and I would love to be the one to help those that are less fortunate. The sister also wants to install SS appliances and upgrade the lighting accessories in the home at her cost. All great, However, I am a fairly new landlord and cannot afford to make a mistake. Any advise on how to pursue a tenant with disabilities is much appreciated. My gut feeling is telling me to be cautious on this one. Sorry for the long story. 

Loading replies...