Prospective tenant plans to have co-worker stay two nights a week

6 Replies

I just got an application that looks great. Solid income, over 800 credit, no criminal background (has law enforcement employment history). Applicant said that they do not have any pets, but they do have a co-worker that comes through town twice a week that will be staying overnight, and they have a dog.

My standard terms for a normal pet situation are $25/month per pet, $300 non-refundable pet fee. I've negotiated all of these before (no pet fee, or 2 pets for the price of one).

As my lease is written now, the guest would be considered another tenant since they would be there more than 30 days in a calendar year. Background check on guest?

Thoughts on how to address this? 

Do you allow Sublet by the Tenant in your lease?

You can list them as a regular tenant to the property. They would be subject to the basic application process (app fee and background check) and named on the lease as tenant.    I have a 20 day stay limit in a year. 

If this is a sublet there is an additional $300 monthly fee.  They would still be subject to application process.   

I would bet they don't want to be listed on the lease and be responsible as well.   As for the pet part, I would follow your standard lease option.  Maybe cut them a deal because of limited time at the rental.  

@Brad M. , I'm probably different than many landlords in that I wouldn't care too much about the co-worker staying for two nights a week.  With the high credit score and decent income, the applicant wouldn't worry me about that.

Regarding the pet, I would stick by my pet fee and pet rental fee.  Whether the dog is there 30 days a month or 10 days a month doesn't really matter.  It can inflict damage on your unit.  Period.  Unless this is a teacup dog, I'd stick to your full pet fees.  If it's a teacup dog, maybe I'd halve the fees.  Maybe.

I just got new info that it is temporary. The co-worker just got the job, and is in the process of looking to buy a house. The tenant has agreed to pay the $25 monthly pet fee. I agree @Randy E. , I'm not too concerned given the overall strength of the tenant, at least on paper. Thanks for the feedback.

@Brad M. I think boundaries are needed. I find that no matter how good the tenant is usually if you give them an inch they always look for more. Certainly charge for the pet and pet deposit and run a background and have him on the lease. It's a liability if you know he is staying there and not on the lease. If you charge him or not depends on you and your relationship and how you are with your finances.

@Brad M. I recently had a person applying on one of my properties with a great score, and she told me that as she travels a lot, some of her coworkers will stay at her place also. That was code for Airbnb. In Chicago that's not allowed in most of condos and of course most landlord don't permit it. As soon as I asked if she intends to profit from her coworkers and if it's airbnb, her interest on the property faded away. 

Ask the question just in case, and if it is the case and you don't mind, at least you know what to expect. 

Good luck to you!

Lumi Ispas, Real Estate Agent in IL (#475.113981)
773-392-2906

warning warning!  I've seen this too many times. The good credit score comes in and the bad one follows.  Its either an airbnb or the bad tenant.

Also, 2 days a week now is a temporary 7 days until they buy a house ?

I would do a check of the other person and you will find no so good news.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.