Votes
Kelly M.
  • Vernon, NJ
Votes |
Landlord opinions please

Kelly M.
  • Vernon, NJ
Posted Aug 17 2015, 21:02

hoping this is appropriate, In the past my x husband and I flipped about 9 for closures. For the past 4 years I have been renting with my two teenage kids and one dog. The home I'm renting is a young home. Built in 92.  

My landlord took a risk with me, after my divorce I was forced to file bankruptcy. Not forced. But told it was the best option. Anyhow, he accepted me as his tenant and now 4 years later, I love this house. It has become my children's home. I pay my rent two weeks early every month and in June I pay. July and August up front. I take care of this as if it were my own. When my dishwasher broke I went and purchased a new one. I've had the bathrooms regrouted and I have paid and never would ask my landlord for things I wanted done. If it needed it I would ask.  I have installed garage door openers and he allows me to install a fence. I also paid for.  It was a want. The front shrubs died from the brutal winter. So I had them removed and replaced and the pavers resanded. And the foundation on the stairs painted because they were cracking. People tell me I'm crazy for putting money into a home that I don't own. However I live here I plan on it for a minimum of another 6 years.  I've called my land lord twice in 4 years once because my heat was broke. And another to find out if I had to have the gutters cleaned or him. Other than that I've never asked for a thing. I do all landscaping and snow removal. i also pay rent with a bank checkevery month. So now I need the carpet in the living room and Dinning room replaced and Down the Hall. I've had Stanley steamer every 4 months   The padding underneath is starting to to des inaugurate and it's coming free from the walls  it was not new when I moved in I believe it is original   My question is I was told by my brothers contractor that he could install laminate flooring for 2300  I am willing to pay for some. I'm unsure how to ask my landlord. I was going to ask for a months rent which is 1300 and I'll pay the remander.  Do you think this is inappropriate? Or how do I ask. ? He tells me all the time he wishes he had 10 tenants like me, and how great his house looks. But I don't want to seem greedy   He only raises my rent 10 dollars a year.  Should I ask? And how can I ask?  It's not a game changer I'm not going to move if I can't. But it does need to be done. Thanks in advance

Loading replies...