Tenant rights - Full inspection of house Georgia

4 Replies

My landlord has called me and exercised her right to inspect the house we are renting from me. She has given me the proper 24 hour notice. She also informed me she is coming through and inspecting the house for cleanliness and items we have to fix by Monday because she is having a bank inspector come by so she can re-finance house. I will admit our house is not perfect and we have the garage full of boxes (This is one area she says has to be clean and neat. ) I live in Augusta, GA and could not find anything in the Georgia tenant/landlord agreement that forbids this inspection.

I have told her that while we respect her right to inspect we do not feel she has the right to tell us what to clean up or how to keep the house. We are in the middle of a 3 year lease and really do not want to go to war with our landlord while at the same time want to protect our rights. Any advice would be appreciated.

It ultimately goes back to what the lease states. If it does indeed say the house is to be kept in neat and clean order for inspections such a for a bank it should be kept in that order. However, if it is simply just boxes stacked in a garage, I doubt the appraiser will mind much, so long as they can feely move about in there. Discuss it with your LL and go from there. It doesn't sound like you want to go to war with your landlord over a 15 minute job of stacking boxes. Just my $0.02....

the appraiser is looking for damages, so as long as your general areas are clean and the walking areas are not clutter and they can walk easily through the property should be fine.

generally its a good idea to keep a neat house

As a renter what are you responsible to fix, or did you mean what they need to fix?  Usually, renters are not really required to 'fix' anything, check your state's rules.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you