Plumbing

3 Replies

Hi, I've recently had a plumber come out to my rental and tell me that it was mainly "wet-wipes" blocking the drain - he said that it was clear, and it should be fine now (after it was cleared). However, the blockage continued as it was, so he had to come out again and have a look the week after. I saw a lot of weeds/grass/etc be removed and exactly 1(ONE) wet-wipe. 

My question  is: Will I be expected to pay for the service? Shouldn't this 1 wet-wipe have been removed the first time? Also, wouldn't it be more feasible that grass/weeds/etc. was actually the cause of the blockage? As opposed to the 1 wet-wipe. 

Feedback/answers to this would be greatly appreciated. The rental is also very old, if that at all contributes to my question.

Steven, 

Bummer. Plumbers are expensive! If you already had him come out and the repair was incomplete, it would be reasonable to open up dialog and at least ask him to consider whether the follow up visit was actually completion of the initial work, as it seems to be, and to price accordingly. If not, he's not your man and all landlords need a plumbing resource on speed dial who can and will advise even when they're too busy to work, and who will not overcharge.

I don't know your situation with the tenants, but in an ideal scenario you are still in possession of security deposit (or they are still there to bill). If you get written documentation from the plumber, and have a good lease, the disposal of wet wipes down the drain could be tenant-caused enough that it constitutes a chargeable offense, especially if they agree to stop disposing of wet wipes down the drain and/or admit that they have done so. 

Good luck out there! I feel your plumbing pains - I'm replacing a water main line right now in one of my older rentals. Grateful to feel like I'm not getting raked over in that already expensive job.

Logically thinking you don't have to pay, because it is his shabby work in the first attempt which forced him to get it cleaned the second time. After cautioning and making him aware of the shortcoming on a humanitarian ground pay a small amount of money. Not sure about your take on this? Next time you chose the plumbing services be careful lest such incidents happen in future. You are fortunate your drain is intact, I have had a bad experience in the past when my drain got damaged due to improper cleaning method.But it has to be done in its right way without damaging them, check for these simple tricks for cleaning http://www.brothersplumbing.ca/blog/unclog-drain/5-tips-cleaning-drain-without-damaging/.There are different chemical products and a variety of tools available to clean our home's drains .

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you