moving a tenent out (month to month lease)

4 Replies

Hello BP! I am a new landlord and I just rented out my condo on a month to month lease. It hasn't been a month and I am already having issues. I really want her out and I wanted to know what is the right way to do it. She just signed the lese and I want to give her a 3o day notice to leave. Is this the right thing to do?

So I know I can't get in to everything her but she was upset because there was no fixtures over the sliding door. (she wanted blinds but I told her to use curtains. Is it mandatory to have window blinds on every window? Also just for the record we placed blinds on all the windows (except for the sliding glass door so she can put curtains up) . so because of this she was  upset and sent an email saying she put in her 30 day notice. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you...

JR

she gave you 30 day notice start looking for new tenant,fyi a shade for slider is $50 

@Jamelia Rabsatt It sounds like you got your wish, if she put in her 30 day notice then acknowledge it by sending her your move-out letter.  We send a letter confirming the final day of tenancy when the keys will be returned, and cleaning requirements (from the rental agreement). 

On another note, getting a set of blinds from Home Depot or Lowes is $50 well spent to make a tenant happy and finish the home in preparation of a new tenant.  Unless there serious other issues I'd offer to cover the window and keep collecting rent rather than go through the expense of turnover.

If she gave you a 30 day notice send a letter of acceptance and start advertising for a new tenant.  Use this as a learning experience.  Make sure you inspect the property and give back any deposit she is due promptly.  With such a short turnover it should be pretty clean.  Look for a longer term tenant next time.

All this over window treatments?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.