Resources for rental prices?

6 Replies

Where can I find the best resources on rental prices for my area? I don't want to rely on assumed rental prices currently listed (IE: zillow, realtor.com) if they're not true to the market.

Depends on the type of property you are looking at.  I have used apartments.com as well as rentals.com.  I have also used Craig's list, they have a decent number of rentals.  I would start here. 

Ames

perfect. All those posts were very helpful. 

I was not aware of such sites as rentometer... then again, I usually default to doing web searches before starting a new thread on BP. 

Thank you for your input!

@Christopher DeLucien I also drive the area and call on signs in yards for houses for rent.  It's not an exact science at all.  Where we live, it is almost seasonal.  I have plenty of interest in our properties in the middle of summer but things slow down after school starts.  That's the only time I have ever dropped rent to get a house filled.  We now try to make everything expire in summer!

Good luck!

Rentometer is not that accurate IMO. Realtor.com has rental properties posted by realtors and pm companies...they are often a tad aggressive in pricing but are the most accurate. Here rents are negotiable but the market is hot so it is probably rare...overpriced may sit for a month and then usually get marked down and rent out. Zillow feeds off realtor.com in my market.