• San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Rental Unit - Hardwood Floors

Kyle Rosseau
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Nov 22 2015, 13:19

Hello

There has been a lot of posts around flooring questions which I have reviewed but still haven't been able to find an answer to mine. I am remodeling one of the units for my 4 plex in North Oakland CA (B Rental).  I am planning on refinishing the hardwood floors.  It is a one bedroom and I plan to hold the property long term.  The unit is set up so that the front door opens to the living room which you walk through to the kitchen and then the one bedroom is off the kitchen along with bathroom.  The living room has oak floors which are in decent shape.  The kitchen and bathroom have Douglas Fir which can be refinished (only kitchen - bathroom in bad shape).  The bedroom has oak but there are multiple water stains and contractor said wouldn't be worth replacing.  I am thinking of refinishing living room and kitchen (tile in bathroom) and then doing Vinyl or porcelain planks (floating) in bedroom.  

My two questions are:  

1) Is it worth refinishing the Douglas Fir?  I have heard Douglas Fir is pretty soft and can get beat up (especially in a rental).

2)  Would it look strange to a renter to have three different floor types in the three rooms (Oak, Douglas Fir, Laminate)?

Thanks,

Kyle

Loading replies...