Votes
Kent W.
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Ground for Eviction?

Kent W.
  • Sarasota, FL
Posted Jan 11 2016, 16:41

As a residential renter in Florida I am being threatened by my landlord too move out or be evicted. I believe her case to be both unjust and not legally sound, so am considering fighting the eviction. Here's the facts. 

I had an annual lease which expired before my current landlord bought the property. So I'm month to month. I was never notified how to pay rent, but since she took up residence in another apartment on the property I paid her on time by handing her cash. After 4 months of these casual payments her friend and real estate agent texted me 8 days before rent was due that my rent would increase from $775 to $950. Florida law requires a 15 day notice in writing so I paid $775 by check on the the 1st of the month. She cashed the check. 5 days later she retaliated by sending me a 3 day notice that I was indebted to her in the amount of $850. I have no idea where this number came from and ignored the notice. Nothing followed. It's now the 11th and her friend is again texting me to leave or face eviction. 

Apologies for the length but I felt all information was relevant. I'm not sure I could find suitable housing in the next 20 days and I would prefer to not move immediately. Hence why I'm interested in fighting this. Also, please note that I have completely paid rent. Although I can't prove the first 3 or 4 payment. 

Regards, 

And any help is appreciated. 

Loading replies...