Prospective tenant with Mexican ID

14 Replies

Originally posted by @Tim LaBorde :

If a prospective tenant only has a Mexican ID but not a US driver's license, how do I conduct a background check?

You can't. The guy could literally be a serial killer or child rapist in Mexico and you would never know. A criminal history check only looks at the US. 

Legal immigrants to the US can get drivers licenses, social security cards, and have been vetted before coming to the U.S. This guy is most likely an illegal alien. 

I do not suggest renting to this person. One reason I'd possible identity fraud on his part. There is no way you can verify the authenticity of the Mexican ID. There have actually been many articles about fraud in the issuance of Mexican consular IDs. 

Originally posted by @Tim LaBorde :

If a prospective tenant only has a Mexican ID but not a US driver's license, how do I conduct a background check?

If he's working legally in the US, he will have a social security number.  

If you make it your criteria that you must be able to run a credit check, and he doesn't have a social security number, then you can simply deny him.

Not sure where your property is, but in CA, you can't ask about immigration status - but - you can require a social security number of all applicants so you can screen them using your screening service.  So, it gets around it.  Illegals are a flight risk. And any time you can't vet an applicant - you run all kinds of other risks as well.

If he produces a social security number, I'd ask to see the actual SS card since he doesn't have a state ID - and really vet his employment and who he is.  Google the employer, make sure it's for real, etc.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

It looks like some people are racist against Mexicans.

Absolutely not. I do not rent to people who aren't citizens. The end. Don't care what country or why.

Why? If I ever need to sue them for any reason, they just go home and I never get anything. 

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

Tim,

All you need is the person's name, DOB to do a background check. And you don't need an SSN to get a job in the USA and all you need is an ITIN, so they can pay taxes. It looks like some people are racist against Mexicans.

This is incorrect.  Look it up.

You need more than a person's name and DOB for a background check. My name, for example, is so common that I've gotten somebody else's prescriptions from the pharmacy - because we had the same name. If I google my name there are thousands, even some with my middle name and DOB.

If I gave you my full name, and DOB, the best you could do is pick from about 40 different people which one is me. Also, police don't do background checks for the general public.

As common as my name is, my birthday also happens to be one of the most common. There are literally dozens of other people out there with my name and DOB, I have researched this.

Call it racism if you like, but I don't rent to people without doing a background check and running their credit.

If a person has no criminal record in the US that means nothing if they have only lived in the US for 6 months and have an extensive criminal history in their home country.

I do not and will not ever rent to illegal aliens.